Monday, October 4, 2010

Architecture?


I think I can speak for most people in the group in saying that we’re pretty lost with where the outcomes of the studio are going. I’m struggling to find the relationship between theoretical architecture and enterprise.

We were exposed to some pretty interesting business/architecture models at the event in Tokyo and it seems to me that we’re trying to develop a clever entrepreneurial business model but splice that with theoretical/conceptual architecture. I agree with Joanne that we need to somehow prove that the outcomes of the studio will be ‘architectural’ and please the school – but… I don’t think it’s necessarily possible when we’re exploring business models.

Clever businesses are successful because they provide the community with what they want. Entrepreneurs find a need or create a need and they build a business on that. Take the cupcake shops for example. Someone found a unique need for novelty cakes in the city. Simple cake recipes with elaborate frosting. It’s such a simple business model but they’re popping up everywhere – Now what if we place an architecture theory layer on top of that model? I think the cupcakes will lose their value and people won’t really understand. The general public doesn’t understand architecture. It’s a shame but it’s the truth. I don’t think we can successfully build a theoretical architectural business model.

If we look back at the Tabloid building in Tokyo – We have an old disused building which is given new value by the implementation of a new program into the space. Does it need more than that? Do we now need to go an analyse human behaviour in the space or scatter chairs around a room and see where people sit? Or is the business model architecture enough?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that maybe we as a group need to decide which direction we want to take. Will we go down the theory path and redefine space and human behaviour or do we aim to create a business model which is what the general public understand? Because at this stage I don’t think we can splice the two and have the best of both worlds. With the speed dating event - I thought the branding and event become part of the architecture. I don't know how important it is do conceptualise the layout of a picnic for a speed dating event. People don't understand architecture theory so if we force it on people for the sake of the studio the event might not work. So maybe we try and do architecture studies through events and leave the enterprise behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment